Monday, December 12, 2011

Cream of Cauliflower Porridge


I have 4 more heads of cauliflower to use up. I have been looking for new cauliflower recipes to try but haven't come across anything that sounds better than mashed cauliflower. As I was eating the last of the mashed cauliflower, I found the consistency to be similar to that of cream of wheat. Bingo! I have a new meal to create! If it is a success, I will serve it to my husband as cream of wheat and see his reaction. Yes, I have fun tricking people into eating something healthy that looks and tastes unhealthy. Off to test my creation...

Well, I tested it and it came out delicious! The almond flour gives it a texture like that of wheat. Feel free to replace it with any ground up nut of your choice. This is really a good base for a breakfast porridge. You can just add whatever nuts, seeds, or fruit you would normally add to a hot porridge.

Here is the recipe:

Cream of Cauliflower Porridge

water
1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped
1/4 cup of almond flour
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp maple syrup or other sweetener of your choice

In a pot, boil the water and cauliflower until tender. Drain cauliflower reserving 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water. With a stick blender, puree the cauliflower and reserved water. Add almond flour, maple syrup and butter. Mix well.

I am just going to store this in the fridge in individual portions for ease of serving.

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try this. Doing low carb again and I miss hot cereal so this sounds like a good swap.

    ReplyDelete