Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cold Breakfast Cereal

I came across Sarah's article at The Healthy Home Economist about how toxic store bought cereal is for you and how to make your own. Now, I have known that store bought cereal is toxic because of the high temperatures they use to cook the cereal. I haven't bought cereal in a while, but after watching her video, I decided to make some cereal. She buys fresh wheat and grinds it herself. I do not know where to get the whole grains to grind yourself, so I decided to try make the cereal gluten-free with flours I already have. I also made a third of the recipe as this was more of an experiment. Here is my altered version (feel free to multiply the ingredients by 3 if you want a lot more cereal):

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Cereal

1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup plain yogurt

Mix the above ingredients and put them in a large glass bowl and cover with a cloth for 24 hours.

The next day, add the following to the mixture:

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Spread this out in a round cake pan and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Once it cools, crumble it up into small pieces and add 1/4 cup chopped almonds and spread out on a cookie sheet. Put in warm oven (the lowest it will go, I used 175F) for 4 hours mixing it every hour. Take out of oven and leave on tray to crisp up some more. 


This cereal came out amazing! You can change the flavors based on personal preference. The cereal does stay crispy in the milk. After I made this, I saw that Sarah had a gluten free version using almond flour. I will try that next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment