Thursday, February 6, 2014

Seasoning Cast Iron and Roasted Chicken Recipe

I finally had a chance to go through a box of cast iron pans that we've picked up at yard sales. I found this large Cabela's pan, I think it's used for camping. I decided to season and start using it. I scrubbed it down with steel wool, rinsed, and dried it. I used some homemade ghee for the seasoning and also a little local beeswax. I made some pancakes on it the next day and nothing stuck! I wished I had started using this pan sooner. My old cast iron skillet is bumpy and stuff always stuck to it.

I remembered reading somewhere that someone said to cook a whole chicken in cast iron to season it so I decided to give it a shot.

Cast Iron Roasted Chicken

1 tsp himalayan salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp homemade ghee
1 whole organic chicken
Optional:
Green beans
Onions
Carrots

Put cast iron skillet in oven. Preheat to 425F.

Rinse and dry chicken.  Rub salt and pepper all over.

When oven is preheated, add 1 tsp ghee to pan an then drop chicken in. Spread the remaining ghee on the top of the chicken.

Bake for 1 hour. After about 45 minutes I added some frozen green beans around the chicken to cook on the drippings. I would have added carrots and onions but didn't have any.

The chicken and green beans came out great!  And my cast iron skillet got some great new seasoning!

No comments:

Post a Comment